Monday, March 10, 2008

Why I wanted to send a letter to Oprah

(Scroll down for Mixtape)

So like a dum dum I got myself into a bit of trouble because of some traffic violation. I was lucky enough to be rescued by a nice guy who saved me from the side of the road after I got pulled over and was too upset to drive. And, before the speculation starts let me just say this was all due to the fact that I received my first traffic ticket, I sometimes wish there was a more dramatic premise to my story so I could be on a talk show or write a book; or so people might be like, "wow I can totally understand your pain," but it was just a ticket for running a stop sign. The distraught part was due to the fact that I was already going through some other unrelated stressful event, and this further compounded the weight of negative energy in that situation. Anyway, he took the time to pull over and let me know that the location of my car was in a dangerous place, put my situation in the right perspective, tried to make me feel better by making me laugh, and helped to guide my car out of that tricky highway spot by directing traffic. I think that it is quite rare for strangers to help you during your time of need. Once I fell down while walking down a steep hill and I sprained my ankle. There were tons of people walking by and not one person asked if I was ok. They just like walked by and didn't even look at me on the ground. And no, I don't look intimidating like a gangster or like a homeless person who was just cruising there. I was sprawled on the ground. Oh wait a second, there was like a 3 year old kid that pointed me out to his dad while they were walking up the hill, but the dad was like, "keep walking son," so that really doesn't count. I suppose it is because people just don't want to get involved. They have seen too many Hollywood movies and news reports about good Samaritans getting beat down, and they have this guard up. So anyway I was really moved by how nice this guy was and I had this crazy idea to write to Oprah so she could get all misty about it and hand him a million dollars. Then I remembered that she is doing the show "The Big Give," and I thought oh nuts she might not go for it, because she is already giving a lot of money to random people. So maybe I will and maybe I did, that will be my secret I guess. But, it doesn't hurt to let others know that there are some helpful and nice people in the world. Above is a picture of his business card. I recommend calling him for his services simply, because if someone takes the time to help out another it speaks volumes about their character. And, as a consumer it is best to look for a person that is not only capable, but also someone of good character.




0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com