Monday, March 17, 2008

Lesson 8: Going Green, Not Just an Annoying Catch Phrase, But a Money Saving Idea



So when did all of this going green stuff start anyway? I suspect it all started with the enormous increase in gasoline prices. I am not much for following trends as trends = excuse to spend money on useless stuff (ie: pogs, Pokemon, power rangers, 80's glam gym socks), but this trend is definitely a positive one. I hope that it is one fad that never goes out of style. When adopting the planet wise lifestyle the savings are not always upfront. Organic and biodegradable items might have an overall higher cost, but you reap significant savings because you tend to buy less of the product over time. For example, computer companies might sell ink jet printers cheaper than laser printers because they make money when you buy ink refills. Even when you buy refills at Costco its still expensive and perhaps you might need to buy them about 3-4x per year (or more) until your printer stops working. That adds up to a lot of cash over time, far more than what you might pay for the more costly laser model. Hope you all are having a Happy St. Patricks day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment. I agree, I do hope the trend that has started does not fade over time. Going Green does also have many ways to save you "green" as well! I try to post a few that I might think up or find on my blog.

northpine said...

cool. I am going to put your link on my side bar hope u don't mind.

 
template by suckmylolly.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com